Monday, April 14, 2014

The Corner is Bent, But I Don't Care

Most times when I tell people I collect sports cards I get one of two reactions.  Actually, when I think about it, I get three.  

The first, less typical reaction, is usually "why?"  People who don't collect don't fully understand collecting, and rightly so.  "Why do you collect pieces of cardboard"?  That is a question I have been asked more than once.  "What do you DO with them?"  

Non-collectors just don't get it, but how could they? It's not their "thing." I'd argue that you have to have a certain drive and motivation to stay with collecting sports cards.  It's easy to start by buying a pack of cards or two, but to actually stick with it for any extended period of time you have to really love it. 

I certainly do.

The second reaction I get usually is something like "I have a bunch of cards in my (insert storage area here)." You should look at them sometime.  I always say I'd be happy to look through people's old cards, readily knowing that it will be a bunch of '87 and '88 Topps commons, but rarely does it happen.  Who knows, maybe I will find a Frank Thomas NNOF rookie card?  Rarely do people ever approach me with the actual cards to sort through though.  

The third reaction I get sometimes is "you're a girl, and you collect sports memorabilia?"  Amazingly enough, there is no ban in this country on women buying and collecting sports cards.  Imagine that.  

So those are usually the main reactions I get from people.  I mentioned that rarely do people actually follow through and let me sort through their cards, but one friend from work actually did.  I went through his son's boxes of old cards fully expecting to see lots of wooden border '87's and ugly '88's, '89's, etc.  While most of it was like that, there was the occasional card that stood out.  But one card stood out much bolder than any other:
I found this gem (with a slightly bent corner) among the commons.  Jeter looks so incredibly young, and it is amazing to compare then to now.  When I told my friend that he had a card that could make him a few bucks he simply said, "keep it."  So I did, and now this classic card is part of my collection.

I'm no Yankee fan, but I do respect a great career when I see one.  Jeter is a living legend and a stand up guy.  This card is pretty darn cool, too.

1 comment:

  1. I've got a couple of those and a few others from early in his career. I love his and chipper jones early cards. Baby faces

    ReplyDelete