Wednesday, September 17, 2014

Busting 2014 Topps Chrome Baseball...

Hi everyone! I haven't had much time to blog these days, but I am very active on Twitter (it's much faster!). So, if you don't already follow me, you can do so @FunnerHere.  Because I am sure you are all hanging on my every word.

I was in Cape May, New Jersey, this past weekend, and I was hanging out with Rich and Sara and Brian at Layton Sports Cards. I knew I wanted to buy a box of cards while I was there, but I couldn't figure out what I wanted.  Then I thought, why buy I box when I can just buy a case?

So I did.

I got a case of Topps Chrome.  I love to rip wax, so this was certainly a good product for that.  Twelve boxes per case, 24 packs per box, four cards per pack.  Two autos per box as well. I was hoping for at least one Abreu, and some nice color as well!

So, here is what I got...or at least SOME of what I got. I am certainly not going to show you all the cards, even though those chrome are really pretty to look at.
#/10.  The atomic refractors are super cool looking.
This was one of the better hits.  Chris Owings, who signs his name to read either "Goo," or "God," depending on how you view it, red border on card auto.  This one is numbered to 25.
In case you were wondering how many Tanaka rookies come in a case of 2014 Chrome, you have your answer now. It's five.
Topps is pretty consistent when it comes to big name rookie hits in cases.  There were a total of five Abreu rookies as well.  I didn't manage a refractor of either big name.
I also got a whole slew of these sweet looking 1989 reprint cards.  Tanaka and Abreu made an appearance in these as well.  Mike Trout has that classic Mike Trout look on his card, gotta love that. But my favorite of all of these has to be the Ken Griffey, Jr.
And then there were the die-cuts. Awesome looking cards!  Sharp suckers, too.
These Topps Shelf inserts fall one per box. Tough cards, glad I didn't get any dups.
Very nice black border cards, these are all numbered out of 100.  Stanton makes an appearance above...did you all see that picture of his face? That was maybe the worst hit by pitch I've ever seen.
There was one sepia card in the entire case, and that is this Matt Cain numbered to 75.
Tony Cingrani cyan printing plate, a one-of-a-kind collectible, so says the back of the card.
Three golds, these are numbered out of 50.  No big names to write home about.
As I mentioned, there were two autos per box, and I think one box even had three.  Above are two refractor on card autos, both numbered out of 500.
I was pretty happy with the Polanco pull. He is one of the better rookies to get.  Ethan Martin, the lone Phillie auto I got, is a complete no name who might never see the big league team.
Nick Castellanos is a forever rookie. Topps seems to have decided that.  What constitutes the time when the "RC" logo is taken off a player's card?
Kolten Wong and Zach Walters, two solid autos.
Some Marlins, a Rockie, and a Ranger. Nothing to write home about.
Also notable, since I heard somewhere he was retiring or something, I guess it is a big deal to pull Derek Jeter cards.  There were seven in this case, and someone will have themselves a nice lot of 2014 Jeter Chrome cards when they win the auction on eBay.
I got a stack of x-fractors...
And a slew of blue borders, numbered to 199.
Then there's this.  I got the Abreu I was hoping for! It was a base version, but still a very nice looking card.  Abreu has a really cool auto. So many guys these days don't seem to care at all about what their signature looks like (see "goo" above), but you can tell the ones that do.  Abreu is one of those players collectors appreciate.

My first personal case breaking experience was pretty fun.  Yes, it's expensive, but you are guaranteed to get the case hit, and who knows what that will be?  You can also get a very good start on set building. Speaking of which, I have hundreds of 2014 Chrome cards if anyone needs any.  Most of what I pulled insert or big-names-wise has already been listed on eBay to try to recoup some of the cost of the case.

I hope everyone is doing well! If anyone has pulled any Halladay or Flacco cards recently hit me up--I have a a lot of cards I am able to trade.  As always, thanks for reading the blog and following me on Twitter!

2 comments:

  1. There ain't nothing "no big names" about that gold Garcia in my book.

    BTW - I hate you for pulling the Abreu auto. Just saying....

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm interested in a lot of chrome. Please email me at caitlinjennings64@yahoo.ca.

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete